Thursday, April 23, 2015

Visually Stunning Films.

There is a sweet spot in film. This sweet spot is best illustrated in a venn diagram. On one side, we have beautiful visuals, and on the other side have a fantastic story. Today, we're not going to talk about the sweet spot, we're going to talk about the visually stunning side.

Let me explain what I mean when I say "visually stunning". When i say visually stunning, I'm referring to those films that take your breath away. Those films that make you step back and really appreciate their beauty. Before we go on, I'd like to clarify that these movies are not just visually stunning. These films received recognition in a number of categories, but for the sake of this post, we will focus on them mainly for their visuals.

Pans Labyrinth directed by Guillermo del Toro 



I'm just going to start out by saying that any film directed by Guillermo del Toro is going to be stunning. If you are unfamiliar with his work, he is most famous for directing all installments of the Hellboy franchise as well as writing all installments of the Hobbit trilogy. Guillermo is well known for his makeup effects, creating some of the creepiest and imaginative creatures to be shown on film. Pan's Labyrinth focuses on Ofelia, a young girl living with her mother and sadistic army officer stepfather in World War II era Spain. Pan's Labyrinth brings a child's world to life with it's remarkable and eerie setting and it's menacing creatures.

Life of Pi directed by Ang Lee



Life of Pi, based on the best selling novel of the same name, focuses on a young boy who is cast away at sea after a shipwreck with his only companion being a ferocious bengal tiger. Life of Pi features gorgeous visuals that landed it with four oscar wins, two of which were for the visuals alone.

Her directed by Spike Jonze



Her is the story of a single, lonely writer who develops feelings for an astoundingly realistic operating system designed to meet his every need. Spike Jonze uses cinematography and a crisp color palette to draw the audience in and create a totally different world.

6 comments:

  1. HER IS THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE OH MY GOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really loving your posts! Some visually stunning films for me are Avatar and Tron Legacy. Say what you will about the Avatar plot not being well fleshed out, but its stunning on blu-ray. Life of Pi I have yet to see, but it looks very promising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both of your choices. I have watched Her and Life of Pi and really enjoyed the visual effects that were included. They made the films stand out in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life of Pi is an incredible movie! Absolutely worth the watch. I've watched trailers for Her, but have been skeptical about the story line. Definitely will be checking it out at your recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how much information is in each of your posts! When I first saw the previews for "Her" I decided that I wanted to go see it, but never got the chance. Life if Pi is long but an amazing movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you have not seen HER see it now!!!!!

    ReplyDelete